Homemade Onion,Tomato,Capsicum & Mushroom Pizza
|Homemade Onion,Tomato,Capsicum & Mushroom Pizza Recipe|
I love to treat my children once in a while with homemade pizzas.This recipe has been tried and tested many times and if you follow the recipe carefully I am sure that even a novice cook can make a great pizza far better than what we get at famous pizza outlets at a very economical price.
Today I am making Pizza from scratch with homemade dough and pizza sauce.For the toppings I am using vegetables that were lying around in my fridge.The choice of toppings you can use as per your taste and likings.
Making pizza from scratch at home is a little elaborate recipe but not difficult at all.You can always make your dough and pizza sauce a little in advance and keep it aside in your refrigerator to be used when required.For using the dough and sauce that has been lying in your fridge you should first leave it on your kitchen counter for some time and let it come to room temperature before using it to make pizza.
For making pizza from scratch first make the pizza dough.While the dough is leavening meanwhile chop the veggies,grate the cheese and prepare the pizza sauce.When the dough has doubled in size and you are ready to assemble the pizza first of all preheat your oven to 200 degrees centigrade for ten minutes. Take a baking tin in which you want to bake the pizza grease it with vegetable oil or olive oil and sprinkle little all purpose flour or maida or cornmeal on it and dust off the extra flour, now your baking tin is ready for use.
Roll out the pizza base,transfer it to the baking tin,assemble it with pizza sauce and all the toppings.Bake it to perfection………it’s so easy. Makes:2 Pizzas
Ingredients: 1 cup equals to 250 ml.
For the Dough:
• 2 cups maida or all purpose flour.
• 1 ½ tsp instant dry yeast
• ½ tsp sugar.
• ¼ tsp salt.
• 1 tbsp olive oil or any vegetable oil.
• ½ cup warm water.
For the pizza sauce:
• 5 to 6 medium size ripe tomatoes.
• 4 to 5 garlic cloves finely chopped.
• ½ medium size onion chopped.
• 2 tbsp olive oil or vegetable oil.
• 1 tsp tomato ketch up.
• 1 tsp dried oregano.
• ½ tsp mixed dried herbs.
• ¼ tsp crushed black pepper.
• Salt to taste.
For the pizza topping:
• 1 medium size onion cut into thin rings.
• 1 medium size green capsicum cut into thin rings
• 1 medium size tomato cut into roundals.
• 4 to 5 fresh button mushrooms thinly sliced.
• 2oo gms mozzarella cheese or you can also use a combination of mozzarella and cheddar cheese which is readily available in the market under the brand name “cheezza”from Britannia.Grate the cheese which ever you prefer to use and keep aside.
• Olive oil for basting the pizza base.
• A sprig of fresh basil leaves and capsicum rings for garnish.
For making the pizza dough:
• In a small bowl take luke warm water,add sugar and yeast to it ,stir and let it sit for ten minutes or till the mixture becomes frothy, this shows that the yeast has become active.
• In a large mixing bowl mix together flour,salt olive oil and the frothy yeast mixture.Now if needed you can add more water to knead the flour into a soft dough. Knead for about 10 minutes.
• Apply some oil over the dough and leave it in the bowl,cover it with a cling wrap or simply cover it with a plate.
• Keep it in a warm place to prove i.e to rise, for about two hours or till it doubles up in size.
• If you want to keep it for later use wrap it in a cling film and keep in the fridge,it stays fresh for 2 to 3 days.
For making pizza sauce:
• Roughly chop and blend the tomatoes in the blender to a coarse paste.
• Heat olive oil in a pan and fry chopped garlic,when it starts changing colour add the chopped onions and fry till they are pink.
• Add the pureed tomatoes,cook uncovered till the sauce is almost dry.
• Now add tomato sauce,dried oregano,dried mixed herbs,crushed black pepper and salt to taste.Dry up all the excess water in the sauce.
• Remove from fire and set aside to cool.
Assembling the pizza:
• Preheat your oven to 200 degrees centigrade for ten minutes.
• Take a baking tin grease it with oil, dust with flour and keep it aside.
• Knock,deflate and divide the dough into 2 portions.
• Take one portion of the dough, dust it with little flour and with the help of a rolling pin or by just using your hands flatten out the dough into a round disc of about 8 to 9 inches diameter and ¼ inch thickness.
• Using your finger tips gently press down and make dents on the pizza base along the surface to create a border and also to prevent the topping from bubbling out from the sides of the pizza.
• Brush the pizza base gently with olive oil to prevent the base from becoming soggy from the moisture of the toppings.
• Now transfer this base to the prepared baking tin.
• Spoon about ½ of the pizza sauce and spread evenly over the base leaving ½ inch from the sides.
• Now spread ½ of the vegetable toppings evenly.
• Cover the toppings with grated cheese.
• The amount of cheese used on the topping depends on your personal preference you can increase or decrease the amount of cheese in your pizza.
• Bake the pizza one at a time at 200 degrees celcius for about 18 to 20 minutes until the crust browns a little and the cheese on top turns golden.Mine took 20 minutes to bake.
• Bake the other pizza in the same way.
• Garnish with capsicum rings and a sprig of basil leaves.
• Slice and serve hot with a sprinkle of mixed herbs on top along with any mustard or tomato sauce of your choice.
• You can also bake pizza in a microwave in the convection mode in the same way as we bake in the oven.
• If you have an electric tandoor at home you can use it for baking pizza as well it takes much less time to bake pizza in tandoor than in oven but don’t forget to preheat it before use.