Traditionally huge matured yellow pahari cucumbers are used to make pahari cucumber vadi.Cucumber vadi is a Kumaoni speciality, in places where these cucumbers are not available normal cucumbers can also be used to make these vadis.For making these vadis cucumbers are first peeled,pith removed grated,squeezed and then added to the lentil paste to make vadis,no salt or spices are added to make cucumber vadis.
Fried vadis can be used to prepare a number of dishes especially the delicious ‘alu badi ki subzi’.
- 1cup urad dal (dhuli).
- 1 medium size cucumber(1 cup grated and squeezed)
- 1 pinch asafoetida(heeng).
- Soak urad dal in water for 4 to 5 hours.
- Drain off the excess water and keep the dal aside.
- Meanwhile peel the cucumber,remove the pith and grate it with a thick grater and squeeze out the excess water.Reserve the squeezed water donot throw it away.
- In a mixer add the soaked dal,little amount of the squeezed cucumber water and grind to a fine paste.
- Remove the dal paste to a bowl,add asafoetida, beat it with a spoon for few minutes till it becomes light and fluffy.
- Mix grated and squeezed cucumber to the dal and keep aside.
- Grease two thalis or plates with vegetable oil and keep aside.
- Now with the help of a teaspoon portion out the mixture into small blobs on the thali at a distance of few centimeters.
- Keep the vadi thalis in direct sunlight to dry out fast.
- It will take 2 to 3 days to dry out in summers and 3 to 4 days in winters.
- Remove the vadis from the thali, put them upside down and let them remain in the sun till they are fully dried.
- Store in air tight containers and use them to cook your favourite dishes.
- When properly stored they last over a year.