This dhaba style dal is usually served in dhabas or roadside eateries along the highways,they serve the most delicious,simple and fresh food.While travelling from Delhi to Nainital you will find many dhabas serving wholesome rustic food full of flavour mostly cooked in ‘desi ghee’. The food here is both vegetarian and non vegetarian which is served in huge ‘thalis’.In vegetarian fare dal tadka is very popular, the flavours are awesome.. with a hint of smokiness this dal tastes divine.. when enjoyed with hot tandoori rotis topped with lots of butter along with a paneer dish and a huge glass of lassi.You can end your meal on a sweet note with a bowl of lovely ‘rice kheer’.
This recipe is very close to the dal served in the dhabas to find out you will have to try it out.
Ingredients for dal:
- ½ cup masoor dal(dhuli).
- ¼ cup toor dal or arhar dal.
- 1 medium size tomato chopped fine.
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder.
- Salt ¾ tsp or to taste.
- 2 ½ cups water.
Ingredients for tadka:
- 2 tbsp desi ghee or clarified butter.
- 1 pinch asafoetida or heing.
- ½ tsp cumin seeds.
- ½ tsp whole coriander seeds (crushed lightly).
- 1 to 2 whole red chillies broken into pieces.
- 4 to 5 garlic cloves chopped fine.
- 1 medium size onion chopped fine.
- ½ inch ginger chopped fine.
- ½ tsp coriander powder.
- 1 pinch garam masala powder.
- 1 pinch kasoori methi.
- ¼ tsp deggi mirch powder or Kashmiri chilli powder.
Ingredients for garnish:
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves.
- 1 or 2 slit green chillies.
- In a big bowl mix the dals and wash them well till the water runs clear.
- Soak them for 20 minutes in water.
- Take a pressure cooker,put the soaked dals in it along with 2 ½ cups of water,salt,turmeric powder and chopped tomatoes.
- Close the lid and put it on a gas stove on high heat to cook.
- After the first whistle lower the heat and cook for 3 minutes.
- Remove the cooker from heat and set aside to cool.
- After the pressure has released open the lid and check the seasoning and the consistency of the dal if you want you can add more water at this stage.
- To prepare the tadka,heat ghee in a frying pan on medium heat, when it starts smoking add cumin seeds,crushed coriander seeds,heing and broken red chillies, when the cumin seeds start crackling add chopped garlic and cook till it is golden in colour.
- Now add chopped onion and chopped ginger,fry it on low heat till onion turns light brown in colour.
- At this stage add coriander powder,garam masala powder,deggi mirch powder and kasuri methi just give it a quick stir,don’t let them burn and quickly pour the tadka over the cooked dal and mix lightly.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and slit green chillies.
- Serve hot with any Indian bread of your choice.
Note:Prepare and add tadka to the dal only at the time of serving for maximum flavour.