This is a very delicious,creamy,aromatic and mildly spiced chicken dish with a lovely flavour of freshly ground black pepper.A very popular dish commonly seen in the menus of most non vegetarian restaurants.This recipe is very easy to make at home and the dish tastes much better than any of its restaurant versions. I cook it very often for my family and friends and is always a hit..especially at my ‘kitties’.
This creamy chicken dish is best served with any Indian flat bread like naan,kulcha,rumali roti,missi roti, paratha etc..You can also serve it as a side dish to your main meals.
Follow this step by step recipe with pictures to make this dish easily at home.
Cooking time:30 mins.
Ingredients for marination:
- 800 gms chicken on bone cut into pieces(i.e take full chicken).
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil.
- 2 tbsp thick yoghurt,or hung curd.
- 8 to 10 garlic cloves and ½ inch ginger both made into a paste.
- Salt 1 tsp or according to taste.
- ¼ tsp garam masala powder.
Ingredients for cooking:
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil.
- 1medium size onion finely chopped.
- ½ inch ginger chopped.
- 4 to 5 garlic cloves chopped.
- 18 to 20 cashewnuts.
- 3 tbsp fresh cream.
- 1 tsp whole black pepper corns (sabut kali mirch) crush them into a coarse powder.
- 1 pinch garam masala powder.
- ½ tsp salt or to taste.
- 1 pinch kasuri methi (crushed)
Ingredients for garnish:
- 2 slit green chillies.
- 1 inch ginger jullians (first make thin slices than cut them into matchsticks).
- A small cube of butter.
- 1 sprig of coriander.
- First of all wash the chicken pieces in a colander thoroughly, leave it aside for all the water to drain away.
- Pat dry all the pieces with a kitchen towel.
- Before we marinate the chicken we have to make small slits on all its pieces with a knife about 3 to 4 on each side of every piece,this will help the marination to go deep into the chicken.
- Take a big bowl and put all the ingredients of the marination in it,mix well and add all the pieces of chicken in it,mix with your hands and rub the marination on the chicken properly.
- Cover the bowl and leave it in the refrigerator for 1 ½ to 2 hours the longer the better.
- Heat a heavy bottom pan or kadahi with one table spoon oil to smoking point,lower the heat to medium and fry chopped onions in it till they are pink in colour take care not to brown them.
- Now add chopped garlic and chopped ginger,sauté for few seconds so that the raw smell goes away, add the cashewnuts toss around for few more seconds.switch off the heat and remove this mixture onto a plate to cool off.
- Take a grinder put the onion cashew mixture in it along with few tbsp water and blend it to a smooth paste of pouring consistency, keep aside.
- Take a kadahi or a pan and heat 3 tbsp oil in it to smoking point add the marinated chicken pieces (leave the marinade aside as we will use it later on in cooking) in batches 3 to 4 at a time keep the flame medium and sear the chicken pieces on both sides till they get a little golden colour.Remove them on to a plate.
- When all the chicken pieces have been seared put them all back into the kadhai,add the left over marinade over it along with 2 to 3 tbsp water,cover and cook on low heat for 15 to 20 mins till chicken pieces are tender and dry.
- Now add the onion cashew paste over the chicken mix well and cook for 2 to 3 mins,add garam masala powder,kasuri methi,cream,salt to taste and coarsely ground black pepper powder mix again.
- Check the seasoning add more salt if necessary.
- Garnish with ginger jullians,slit green chillies,coriander sprig and a cube of butter on top.
- Yummy!!Creamy Chicken Kali Mirch is ready to be enjoyed with any Indian bread of your choice.
- You can add black pepper according to your taste more or less.
- For best results use only freshly ground black pepper.
- If you don’t have hung curd or thick curd take a cup of normal curd put it over a sieve for ½ an hour, let the excess water drain away the residue left is your thick curd ready to be used in cooking.
- Here I am using my homemade garam masala,if interested in making your own you can search in this site itself,if you don’t want to make your own you can use store bought too.