A very delicious stuffed mutton kebab passed on to us from the Nizams of Hyderabad. This kebab is made with mutton mince mixed with bengal gram dal,Indian spices aromatics and seasonings.The flavourful stuffing is made with boiled and minced egg white(hung curd can also be used in place of egg whites) and shallow fried on a pan or a griddle.
These kebabs can be had as a snack or an appetizer at any time of the day. Shikampuri kebabs are best enjoyed with hot crispy parathas,naan or rumali roti along with raw onion rings and green chutney.
Cooking time :40 mins
Ingredients for kebabs:
- 500 gms minced mutton (keema).
- ½ cup Bengal gram dal or chana dal (soak it in water for ½ an hour).
- 1 medium size onion chopped.
- ¼ cup dessicated coconut(nariyal burada).
- 10 flakes garlic.
- 2 tsp coriander powder.
- 1 tsp cumin powder.
- 4 cloves (laung).
- 2 green cardmon.
- 2 black cardmom.
- 1 inch cinnamon stick (dalchini).
- 1 bay leaf (tejpatta).
- 1 inch ginger(chopped).
- 2 or 3 whole red chillies.
- ½ tsp black pepper corn (whole kali mirch).
- 1 tsp salt.
- ½ cup water.
- Oil for frying.
Ingredients for filling:
- 2 boiled egg whites chopped or mashed.
- 2 tbsp mint leaves chopped.
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves chopped.
- ½ medium size onion chopped fine.
- 1 green chilli chopped.
- 1 pinch salt.
- First of all soak chana dal with sufficient water in a bowl for half an hour,drain out excess water and keep aside.
- Heat a pressure cooker with ½ cup water and put in every thing mentioned in the ingredients for kebabs list except oil for frying,close the lid and let the pressure build.
- After the first whistle lower the heat to minimum and cook for ten minutes.
- Remove it from heat and let the pressure drop on its own and open the lid.
- Return the cooker to heat stir well and dry out as much moisture as you can on medium heat,the keema mixture should dry out completely.
- Remove the keema mixture from heat and let it cool down.
- Take a blender and blend the keema mixture to a fine texture.The whole mixture will come together like a dough,keep aside.
- Keep the keema mixture in the refrigerator for ten minutes to cool down.
- Meanwhile to prepare the filling mix together all the ingredients mentioned in the ingredients for filling list and keep aside.
- Divide the keema mixture into 10 parts and also divide the filling mixture into ten parts,keep aside seperately.
- Wet your palms with little water and shape each keema mixture into a ball with your palms and flatten it into a 2 inch diameter circle like a tikki and place one part of the filling mixture in the centre.
- Bring the keema mixture tikki together towards the centre from all the sides covering the filling completely,thus forming a ball again.
- Flatten this ball again and make 2 ½ inch diameter tikki shaped kebabs, make all the kebabs in the same way and keep aside.
- Heat some oil in a thick bottomed shallow pan or a non stick tava to a smoking point.
- Reduce the heat to medium and place the kebabs as many as you can and fry them on both sides till golden brown in colour,brush them with little oil while frying when needed.
- Remove the kebabs from heat onto a kitchen paper to absorb extra oil,sprinkle some chat masala on top and serve these delicious kebabs with onion rings and green corriander mint chutney.
- The kebab mixture should be completely dry before you grind it,or else it may become difficult to handle.
- While making kebabs the filling mixture should not come out from any of its sides.
- Keep the heat to medium while frying to get kebabs that are crispy from outside and soft from inside.